A highlight of our school calendar are the annual visits to Fairy Woods for our Let’s Explore days where children have the opportunity to experience the joy of exploring, discovering and meeting new challenges.
Each class spend three consecutive days in Fairy Woods, a National Trust woodland that is not used by the general public and is set up for forest school activities. It is a beautiful part of the Bath skyline and after colonisation by Freshford for the past three Autumns and Summers, now has a special place in the hearts and minds of our children.
During their time in this magical space, the children are grouped in ‘tribes’ and set daily challenges that will require different skills each day. The focus is also on opportunities for developing environmental responsibility and developing social and team skills.
• The children will wonder, invent, show ingenuity, problem solve, be resourceful, evaluate and reflect.
• ‘Let’s Explore’ will provoke questions that will enable the children to have a starting point for further research and investigation.
• They will increase their awareness of their personal capacities and knowledge.
• They will learn to both give and work with constructive criticism.
• There will be opportunities to develop leadership – personal & tribal.
• They will increase their physical agility and stamina.
• They will achieve deeper learning and memory as a result of high levels of emotional engagement in this project.
• As a part of this rich experience, the children will be taught to work with tools usefully and safely and to cook on a campfire.